Tuesday 17 July 2012

Well, it's my first post in four and a half years .... wow I can't believe it's been that long. Many things have changed since then. I completed my foundation degree in marine science, which was when I started this Blog as part of my coursework, I did a third year at Plymouth University studying environmental science and I then stayed at Plymouth Uni for an extra year and completed a Masters in sustainable environmental management. So enough about me except to say that I recently started blogging again, mostly about my addiction to gardening, crafts and general countryside ramblings and it was while I was writing a post last week, about the shifting position of the jet stream and the effect it's having on the UK weather, that I realised that I missed blogging about good old nerdy science stuff, hence, the resurrection of my Falmouth Marine School Blog. Since university, it's much harder for me to read stories about environmental catastrophes, depleted fish stocks, melting polar ice caps and wanton, man-made pollution without wanting to throw on a mask, cape and knee length super hero boots and go out there and try and put things right and I find it even more frustrating when I read stories in certain newspapers, who shall remain nameless....... Daily Mail ...... that highlight the apathy and ignorance of most human beings on this planet. Harsh word, you might think but the more I read, the more it seems to me that people seem to be looking out for themselves with little thought for the bigger picture It seems to me that most of the time environmental issues come way down the list of priorities both at governmental level right down to us as consumers and it also seems that, increasingly, it comes down to a few dedicated individuals, not policy makers, to address the problems.

Every day I scan the papers for news articles about the environment. Some, such as the ones I find in the Daily Mail, I have to cross check with newspapers that are more, shall we say, reputable, but for the most part, the majority of articles are based in science, even if only loosely. So the main aim of this blog will be to highlight these issues and to look in more depth at possible solutions to some of these problems. Kind of “putting the world to rights” as my mum would say J (Actually, my mum and I both agree that if women were in charge and men were used for more menial tasks, the world would be a much better place….. just a thought lol)

No comments: